Thursday, December 29, 2016

Thoughts ahead of departure.

I found some writing that I did a year ago.  Before our move to RVA.  Each requiring further work and development.  And each, I leave here unfinished.

About my kitchen

I grieve for the kitchen.
The heart of my home
The place that young children came first to find me.
The place that I looked first for my mother when I was hurt
Warm light, good smells.

About returning to Virginia

My Virginia-born fourth grade scrapbook describes the Civil War era as a time that the states had differences and that, when Lee surrendered to Grant at Appomattox, a tear fell down his cheek as he realized that he had let down his sweet home state.  There was zero, and I do mean zero reference to human trafficking.  To oppression.  To the soul of what the south believed to be worth fighting for.
30 years after leaving Virginia, I’m headed home to her.  How do I rewrite the biases of my beginnings there and …..


Forgetting to pray

I’ve spent the darkest days of winter prayer-less.  It occurred to me this past week – that I’ve not asked God to help change me from the inside out around this move.  That there is a need, no hunger that I have, that I’ve not asked for help from the great power in my life.  In fact, is there a great power in my life?  Even asking the question shows how far I’ve drifted from the center of wisdom in my life.

Jan 28, 2016

Looking out the bathroom window

At night, the moon casts long shadows of the oaks, rippling across the rock wall towards where I stand.  How many times have I risen early to see this?  I want to lock in every angle of this view in my brain.





No comments:

Post a Comment